I have been contemplating whether or not to post this, but I've decided I should. We've made every local paper and news channel for the last three days, but in case you missed it, a teenage boy was beaten to death by several peers in our neighborhood in broad daylight, in the middle of a street on Saturday. Sorry for the shock factor, but I don't know a nice, comforting way to say that.
It's horrific and shocking and although I wouldn't blame you for not believing me now, we don't live in "that" kind of neighborhood. Not even close!
We live in the neighborhood where old men volunteer to stand outside at all the crosswalks during school hours in bright orange vests to make sure all the kids get safely across the street- even though cars are rare on most of those corners. Where the community pool is run by 16 year old lifeguards who spin whistles around their fingers and tell kids to "Walk!". Where you can hear the ice cream truck that plays out of tune nursery rhymes circulating street by street. You can't walk 10 feet without running into a jogger, woman with a baby carriage, a dog walker, or a group of skinny little girls on their way to the playground.
How did this happen??? Where was everyone???
The police have been all over the news and in the community insisting that this is an isolated incident. They have the suspects in custody and the schools are equipped with guidance counselors, etc. I guess for now what more can you do?
We found out today that the kids involved don't even live in our neighborhood. I can't decide if that's better or worse. I can't even let myself think about the mother of this teen. What she must be going through... I attended the neighborhood vigil for him tonight. I was comforted by how many people in our community showed up, all wearing the same bewildered face wondering how this could happen here. I think the big lesson is that "this" can happen anywhere. I hope, if nothing else, that this sparks some very serious conversations at home between parents and kids. I am trying my hardest to reserve judgement but I have to believe that the parents of the teens who carried out this horrible incident had no idea that their own children had the capacity for so much hate and such a lack of respect for human life. I'm not sure I have a point in posting this other than to vent my frustration and sadness in whatever forum, but there it is.
christmas time
13 years ago
4 comments:
Oh good God... wow... yeah, I've got nothing. Let them know they've got people over here praying for them as well... I know that's neither here nor there, but maybe it's something.
No words...
I am speechless. I know no neighborhood is safe but Crofton is the last place I thought I would hear something like that. My prayers go out to the parents of that boy.
Post a Comment