12 days left until I leave for Africa! (That's right, this annoying countdown will continue for 12 more days).
I am starting a new position in my company this week. Today I got to visit my new digs- VERY spiff. (read: MY OWN OFFICE). Adam and Jessica came over last night to watch figure skating and make fun of my cooking (Picture of me "cooking"). This brings me to another point; Why don't people just believe me when I tell them I suck at cooking? It's not for lack of practice, cookbooks, or materials. I just suck. But I always get that disapproving look that "us quitters" get and an adamant "Yes you can, you just need more practice".
In my opinion, this is like expecting someone who owns athletic shoes to be able to run a 5 minute mile. You can practice all you want. If you ain't got it, you ain't got it. Everyone seems to understand THIS, Yet the world is intent on making me a chef. Trust me, people. I just can't cook. That's why I have ROB. :-) (love you, honey).
Amharic Phrase of the day: en-gli-ze-nya yeu-mi-chel teu-beu-ka e-feul-le-gal-lo
This means: "I want a lawyer who speaks English."
I feel like I should be commiting this one to memory...just in case.
christmas time
13 years ago
5 comments:
able to cook or not, you have a snazzy-looking stovetop.
Hey, lucky you...I'm a lawyer who speaks english!
whatever, maon gripe complain... it was a great meal! you did an awesome job and i bet you will never forget to put water in frozen corn... your what 26 (on the 21st HA!)... i think you have time to improve... I will bring this up in 20 years when you are whipping up 7 course 4 star meals without breaking a sweat (no I am not saying you sweat alot.... geez, calm down ;~)
Danielle, honey, don't worry! I believe you can't cook!!!!
I found your entries about Amharic through a google search... my husband is Ethiopian and even though we're living in Australia now I really love the place. The language is really entertaining and fun to learn, but I hate having to read the english-ised versions of words in books... it's overcomplicated!
Enjoy your stay there! And just in case you have need for it, here's an extra phrase.....
"Temelket(m)/temelkech(f)! Berareh kokeb!"
It means: Look! A meteor!
Regards,
Meiche.
Post a Comment