Hey folks...so it's Rob again. Once more, the Christmas holiday passes on a bittersweet note for the Townley family. Though it's not the Norman Rockwell setting I'd like (i.e. Rob, Danielle and Scout opening presents with a crackling fire in the background), I have to admit I'm continually amazed by the efforts of my fellow servicemen and women in their endeavor to make this incredibly unhospitable place feel a little more like Times Square on Christmas day. The tinsel, cheesy plastic ornaments and miniature fake trees have come in droves, as have innumerable stockings and candy canes that adorn nearly everyone's tent entrances. Some brave soul even hung a huge "Merry Christmas" sign from the barrel of the artillery piece guarding the entrance to the base headquarters, and a roving party of well-wishers wrapped many of the doors around here in some sort of sparkly wrapping paper. There was actually caroling last night (yes, those boys and girls the government pays to fight our wars added their voices to the resounding chorus of "Silent Night" that echoed off the bomb bunker walls here on base). The display of goodwill that has temporarily pervaded this military installation at the edge of the civilized world will be short lived, but it has strengthened in me the sense that though I am away from my wife for the holidays, I am still incredibly thankful for the blessings she and I enjoy though we cannot be together. Had I not you, my love, I would have given up on myself a long time ago. You are my most precious blessing, Danielle, thank you for marrying me.
My warmest holiday wishes to all of you out there...Merry Christmas.
christmas time
13 years ago
2 comments:
Merry Christmas Honey! Holiday Hugs! Mistletoe Kisses! (or should I say Missile-Toe? ...haha)
ROB! Hey little Brother... Missed you at the Christmas festivities! Good times were had, love ya!
Post a Comment