Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Advice? Please.

Oh no. I am guilty. I have become my parents.
Remember when you were a kid and your mom or dad would say stuff to you like "because I said so", "money doesn't grow on trees", and "Stop eating the carpet". (Any takers on that last one? I mean,... me either...). Anyway, today I actually heard one of those phrases come out of my mouth and, so help me, it was one of the worst of them all...
"Welcome to the real world".
Yes, I said this to a young adult who is just learning to pay her own bills. I used to DETEST this phrase because everyone seemed determined to say it to me as if I might confuse "the real world" with "the increadibly fun place where you work 40 hour weeks and pay for everything except your right to breathe oxygen". Imagine my horror. And so, I have resolved never to give advice unless it's fun advice (i.e. You should DEFINITELY try and ski down that hill backwards). Afterall, apparently I don't live in "the real world" anyways, so why should I give advice to those squares?
See you at the EAGLES GAME THIS WEEKEND!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what was the phrase you used? How bad could your parents be?

Anonymous said...

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD :)