Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Help Kids Learn Stuff

Okay, I know there are people asking for your money on every corner (at least here in Maryland there are). But I have a friend from college, Libby, who has been a missionary in Kyrgyzstan for the past few years and she's got a good thing going.

The school she works for is a Christian one with the lowest cost available to families there. ($42 a month). They finally were forced to raise their price to $60 a month this year. This has caused a lot of kids to drop out because the family can't afford to send them anymore. They are looking for people to donate (any amount is GREAT)approx $300 ($30 a month for a school year) so that a child can go to school.
Each child that is sponsored will write a monthly letter to their sponsor and send updated pictures throughout the school year. The sponsor will also be able to receive his/her children’s progress report from their teacher. (I thought that was pretty cool). It's also tax deductable and they will send you a receipt.

Anyway, no pressure. I just thought this was a great cause- and I love that you get to hear from the child that you help. (also a good way to get your kids involved). If you're interested you can leave me a comment or email me at danielletownley@yahoo.com and I'll put you in touch with the right peeps.

No comments: