Wednesday, August 03, 2005

You and the broom you rode in on

Ahh, the suburban life. We're settling in...apparently a little too comfortably. The person who lives in a condo below us has taken to beating the cieling with a broom when they feel we are too loud. We have received said "broom beatings" on three different occasions during the early evening hours (7-8:30 ish). The first time, Rob and I promptly wrote an apology card and told the resident that we were just moving in and we would make an effort to live more quietly. After the third offense, at which point it was obvious that we weren't making any noise beyond walking around, I went down to meet the owner of the broom with my best "Hi neighbor!" attitude (Mr. Rogers would be so proud) to discuss the issue and see what we could agree on. She threw open her window stating she wasn't about to come outside...God knows what an intimidating person I must seem like what with my fantastic muscles. She told me that "ALL the neighbors hate us" (Which is strange because we've met all the other neighbors and I didn't get that impression from any of them) and that she is 83 and too old to be putting up with this S--- (ooooh, bad woooord!) and we should be silent after 6pm because she goes to bed at 7:30. Then she literally shut her window in my face and closed the curtain. I am so tempted to stick flyers for "elderly communities" on her door. (Jesus in, Danielle out, Jesus in...) So instead I called the police to check on county quiet hours (which start at 11pm). We sent her a nice little note telling her we would compromise and quiet down at 8pm. However, If the broom beatings continue I'm turning her in for harrassment. Poor old lady doesn't know what she's in for.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should bounce a basketball around at about 3 AM. Tell her you've gone to bed at 8 PM, so after a generous 7 hours of sleep you're ready to start the morning!

Anonymous said...

hey girl! sorry to hear about the neighborly issues. never good.
anyway, i'm not sure if you got my email, so i figured i'd give this comment thing a shot! I was just wondering if you guys would be traveling north to NJ in about 2 weeks for our nuptials. just let me know so we can finalize seating & whatnot! Good luck with the broom...love ya! Suzanne

tim jenkins said...

i live by a very personal creed

sometimes it deals with the young
often times it deals with the old

and i think it is very applicable here

its kinda deep, so you may need to read it once or twice


"sometimes a bitch gotta go down a flight of stairs"

words to live by folks
words to live by