So - we took the boat out on its first run yesterday afternoon. When we bought the boat, we thought, 'Yeah, we can totally handle this. Piece of cake.' - Not so much. Little did we know that Star Class boats are basically the Formula 1 racecars of the sailing world - and, much like a jealous highschool cheerleader - are ridiculously fast, high maintenance, very sensitive to insults, and generally unforgiving of anyone that doesn't know what they're doing. We're glad we got away from the first cruise with just a snapped jib halyard (one of the steel cables that brings a sail up and down) - other than that, it was awesome!
Though her formal name is 'Glorious Amateur,' we already think, given her bratty disposition and British origin (she was built for the British Olympic Sailing Team), the nickname might be HMS Intolerant.
There was a juniors sailing dinghy regatta going on most of the afternoon at the racing club as well, I didn't know kids' sailing was a spectator sport, but apparently it is. A whole gaggle of proud parents were set up on the docks, lawnchairs and coolers everywhere, watching their kids tack and gybe all over the harbor (and knock their little boats into eachother on occasion)...Look out Anna - I'm already signing you up for juniors sailing class!
The picture isn't us, but just to give you an idea of what a Star class looks like underway...

3 comments:
Beautiful!
Although how about HMS Defiant?
I'm scared just looking at that picture. I didn't know you could ride a boat like that. I'm cool with my husband having a "scary" profession and riding a motorcycle now and again....but Danielle, you let Robdo that? =0)
I could totally do that.
Post a Comment