Tuesday, February 05, 2008

What to Expect When You're Expecting...

In a twist of luck (FINALLY) Rob may be coming home from NC as early as today! We were worried they were going to try and keep him there through next Tuesday (last official day) which was making us nervous with Rockstar's pending arrival. Turns out the Marines weren't paying attention (shocker) and he saved up too much leave time. Now they have to get rid of him as quickly as possible because it's "illegal" to hang on to him when he has extra terminal leave. Works for us!

Rockstar continues to do her thing, which is becoming kind of painful. (feet and arms everywhere). My doctors told us that she can safely be born anytime now. Her lungs are developed, etc. WHICH IS AWESOME. And we are so excited that we get to meet her soon.
In the meantime I think I'm going to write to the authors of "What to Expect when you're expecting" and tell them they need to add one more chapter titled "How to deal with what everyone else expects while you're expecting". Namely: Unsolicited Advice.
I'm figuring out that no matter what, someone always feels the need to point out what they think I'm doing wrong. Lately, what is cracking me up is the multitude of people who ask me how I'm feeling and when I tell them "I'M READY" I get a 'how could you say that!' lecture on how I need to remain pregnant as long as possible. Even after I defend myself and say "No, my doc says it's okay" they still persist on how I'm wrong and I 'want' her to stay in. Okay. It's not like I can force her out, people. Relax. And unless you want me to start commenting on your health and what you could start doing better, you might want to back off. (Yes. It's the same). I'm 8 and half months pregnant! Let a girl dream that it's almost over. Sheesh.
So, just a gentle reminder (pay attention, class) the best gift you can give a pregnant woman is to not give unsolicited advice. Trust me, whatever nuggets of wisdom you have to share...I've probably already heard at least 5 times since 8am - and it gets harder and harder to smile patiently every time someone else repeats it. And honestly, a lot of times what people remember from pregnancy is actually outdated. I can't tell you how many times I've brought up something to my doctors and they roll their eyes and remind me that THEY are the doctor, and if I need to know something THEY will tell me. So the next time you see a pregnant woman, RESIST THE URGE! YOU CAN DO IT!! Just smile and keep moving.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl, do not listen to other's advise, only you know what is best for your baby. And BTW I can't wait to see pictures of "Rockstar" Good luck with the delivery and take the drugs..my advise..tee hee!

Jessica Hansen

andiewade said...

love it!

i've officially outgrown my wedding rings now so i appear all scandalous. i get a lot of disapproving looks, but people stay away from me. i guess getting swollen has a couple perks here and there :). i can't believe we're so close to the end!

LoveLladro said...

my all time favorite... 'just wait until they are teenagers' spoken with a condescending tone... can i PLEASE just enjoy this time? he's only 3 months old!

the world is full of too many negative nancies!

Carrie and Scott said...

It doesn't end once they come...everyone has a better way or just make you feel like you're not doing something right...be prepared and stand your ground...it's your baby!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Danielle, I was reading your blog about the unsolicited advice and it made me laugh, cause it seems everyone has something to say, I so remember people doing that to me! Well I hope everything is going well and that your little girl will be here soon, God bless you and your family.